Viral infections are illnesses caused by tiny microbes that invade our body and harm or kill the healthy cells. If you are experiencing a viral infection, you probably know how hard it is to overcome.
Unlike bacterial infections, viruses can’t be destroyed by antibiotics. The best thing you can do is to assist your body in defending itself against them. From herbs and spices to teas and oils, there are many Ayurvedic solutions that can help you both prevent and eliminate viral infections.
Check out this guide to fight viral infections using natural home remedies and take your health to the next level.
Causes and Symptoms
Viral infections are caused by contagious viruses that spread through coughing and sneezing. One can also catch a viral infection by getting in contact with contaminated food, water, or surfaces.
The symptoms of viral infections, however, vary considerably. Some of the most common signs include:
- Runny nose
More severe conditions may also result in seizures, confusion, neck stiffness, back pain, extreme sleepiness, and lack of sensation.
Benefits of Home Remedies for Viral Infections:
- Antiviral agent
- Immunity booster
- Anti-obesity agent
- Overall body detoxification
- Soothing pain
- Reducing inflammation
- Relieving stress
1. Neem Concoction
Ayurvedic medicine has been recognizing neem as a super-medicine for thousands of years. In order to get the most out of it, neem is often used in the form of neem supplements, neem juice, and neem tea concoctions.
Note: Neem is not appropriate for consumption by pregnant women as it may affect their babies.
- Create a perfect Ayurvedic mix by enriching neem tea with a tablespoon of raw honey, a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of cardamom powder.
- Blend neem tea with black tea or green tea and sliced ginger root.
- Counter the bitterness of neem tea by adding in orange peels, cumin, and cinnamon. You can also include licorice root, rooibos, or fennel seeds.
2. Turmeric, Tulsi, and Ginger Infusion
These three all-purpose ingredients make an excellent infusion that thrives on the ability to deal with viral infections. It is ideal for those suffering from cold, nausea, fever, sore throat, or flu.
- Add a teaspoon of dried tulsi leaves in one cup of boiling water.
- Cover the cup and let the leaves soak for 7-8 minutes.
- Strain the beverage and add a half teaspoon of turmeric and a pinch of ginger slices.
- Drink while warm, three times per day.
If you’re after achieving immediate results, you are also advised to try out the long-proven formula of Organic India’s Tulsi Ginger Turmeric infusion bags.
3. Garlic & Holy Basil Paste
- Peel and chop garlic and holy basil into small bits.
- Mix them with just enough honey to make a paste.
- Refrigerate it for a day then eat one teaspoon of it three times per day. You can also add the paste to a warm tea.
4. Tea Tree Oil Aromatherapy
Humidifying the air is crucial when fighting a cold, cough, sinusitis, and sore throat. To get the most out of aromatherapy, you are suggested to use tea tree essential oil in your diffuser, as it is an effective antiviral agent that boosts the immune system and fights off the germs.
Tea tree essential oil can also be combined with carrier oils such as olive oil with the purpose of using it to treat viral infections topically.
Other Tips and Prevention Tricks:
- Avoid crowds, especially during colder months.
- Avoid contact with sick people or animals.
- Stay well-hydrated. It will help you flush out the virus faster.
- Get sufficient rest and sleep. Your body uses tremendous amounts of energy fighting the infection.
- Eat healthy vitamins and protein-rich food.
- Exercise to boost your immune system.
Viral infections are illnesses caused by tiny microbes that invade our body and harm or kill the healthy cells. While it is nearly impossible to avoid these microbes completely, you can do a lot to prevent and treat the infections that they cause. From neem to garlic, there are numerous Ayurvedic concoctions available that will help you eliminate viral infections.