If you’ve always wanted to be skinny but found it difficult to shed those extra pounds, chances are that you are of the Kapha constitution according to ancient Ayurvedic philosophy. You can take our dosha quiz to find out more about your body type.
But generally speaking, a weight loss diet coincides with a Kapha diet as this constitution needs to eat foods that will balance excess weight. All in all, Kapha diet = weight loss diet.
Adding the Element of Fire
Speeding up your metabolism is one of the most practical Ayurvedic weight loss tips. A slow metabolic rate means a weak digestive fire that does not convert food into energy fast enough.
The Kapha constitution is dominated by the elements of Water and Earth. Ayurveda believes that when these elements dominate in the body, they cause weight gain and lethargy. Add Fire energy to your meals to correct this.
How to do this? Turn on the heat by sipping on warm water throughout the day, especially in the colder months. This will result in increased warmth that will boost your metabolism, and burn body fat faster.
Diet Plan for Weight Loss
Follow this simple meal plan especially designed according to Ayurvedic principles which will help you lose weight. This is a diet plan just to become slim not but it is also a maintenance method for a toned and proportionate body.
Breakfast: While the famous adage goes like ‘Breakfast like a king_Ñ_’ But for this Ayurvedic diet, the best thing for you is to drink ginger tea or hot water with fresh lemon juice and honey on an empty stomach. Follow this with a fruit stew (apples, pears or berries are ideal). Another option is to eat a buckwheat muffin or a bowl of oat bran with a drizzle of raw honey.
Lunch: This should be your largest meal of the day. Our diet tips for weight loss include planning this meal like the following:
- Half: Vegetables that don’t contain starch (bok choy, lettuce, bean sprouts, spinach, carrots, cauliflower, okra, turnips and water chestnuts)
- One-fourth: Rye toast and “heating” whole grains that have ample Fire energy (opt for Basmati rice, polenta, millet, barley, amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa)
- One-fourth: Proteins (chicken, freshwater fish, eggs and beans)
Evening Snack: Kale chips, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, baked apples with cinnamon, dried fruits like apricots, cranberries and raisins.
Dinner: Warming vegetable soup spiced with cumin, ginger, fenugreek, turmeric or pepper. You can also eat a small portion of the items outlined for lunch.
Dessert: (We know you love sweet, but balance it with spicy.) Drink a cup of low-fat milk with a pinch of cinnamon or saffron. Soy and rice milk are good choices but you can also take goat milk.
Tips for Mindful Eating
If you wish to find out further about how to lose weight fast, here are some basic pointers:
- Avoid foods that are salty, sour and sweet.
- Pungent, astringent and bitter foods like grapefruit, endives and green leafy veggies are your best choices.
- Comfort foods will only leave you feeling more drained and sluggish.
- Fermented foods can aggravate Kapha condition and lead to weight gain.
- Eat lightly cooked foods instead of raw produce.