Open Sesame! Yes, the sesame seed makes its appearance in the magical phrase and we’re sure that it’s because of the benefits of sesame oil for hair.
While you might swear by coconut oil to treat your tresses but the heating action of sesame oil is definitely what makes it a clear winner for winter (you can continue to use coconut oil in the warmer months). Similarly, if your Ayurvedic constitution is Vata or Kapha then sesame oil is definitely a better choice for you. Pittas will benefit from the cooling properties of coconut oil. Don’t know your Ayurvedic constitution? Take the dosha quiz.
1. Sesame oil benefits for hair include UV protection from the harsh rays of the Sun. This miracle oil works as a natural sunscreen by forming a protective layer on your hair and shielding it from the elements and pollution.
2. If you are seeing gray in your strands then use sesame oil as an all-natural hair darkener. Sesame oil for hair, when used regularly, can make your hair look jet black and glossy. Moreover, darker hair also looks visibly thicker so the benefits of sesame oil for hair extend to being a hair thickener.
3. Another way it thickens the hair is by boosting scalp circulation. More blood flow to the hair follicles means healthier hair and less hair fall. Sesame oil for hair growth is the top choice in Ayurveda due to its high penetration capability which stimulates hair follicles. This deep nourishment can undo any physical or chemical damage.
4. Use sesame oil for hair loss related to stress. This soothing oil is an effective stress buster when used as a hot oil treatment for your lovely locks.
5. Sesame oil should be your go-to for deep conditioning. Used with other carrier oils like argan oil, coconut oil, olive oil or sweet almond oil, it can be a great pre-poo treatment for your tresses. Mix one or more of these oils into your conditioner along with sesame oil and leave on for an hour for soft, sleek strands. Split ends are also effectively fixed with this oil.
6. Its antibacterial and antifungal properties make it the perfect way to drive dandruff away. Being power packed with vitamins, nutrients and minerals it control the scratchy-itchy feeling of a dry and flaky scalp. It also doubles up as a lice treatment. Massage your hair with warm sesame oil and cover it. Next morning, comb through with a wide-toothed comb to get rid of the nasties stuck to your hair.
We’re not the only ones who’ve pitted sesame oil against coconut oil.