The liver is one of the most important organs in your body as it is responsible for keeping all your internal systems running smoothly. It cleans the blood and removes toxins from our bodies. Your liver is also the production house of many enzyme systems that rule the functions of organs like the eye, heart, brain, gonads, kidney and joints.
Whether we know it or not, we unknowingly abuse our livers with loads of toxins. Many of these toxins come from junk or processed foods, smoking, caffeine, alcohol and medicines that take a toll on the liver. The liver is like a large filtration factory but it does get exhausted of cleaning these toxins regularly. Like any other machine, it needs regular repair and maintenance.
Ayurveda and Liver Health
Ayurveda considers the liver to be governed by the Pitta dosha (We encourage you to discover your personal dosha here). This can easily be seen in the fiery signals of liver malfunction: burning, acidity, swelling or infection. Toxins are recognized by the liver by their heating nature. For example, the liver will treat oily, fried foods as heating in nature. So, the first step to a liver detox is to limit Pitta aggravating foods. An Ayurvedic liver cleanse is a natural way to flush out these toxins by balancing Pitta.
Tips for Liver Detox at Home
There are simple remedies for liver detox that you can easily do in the comfort of your own home.
- Turmeric: This is one of the top herbs for liver detox. Commonly used to treat liver disorders like jaundice, turmeric can be made into a detox tea.
- Liver detox drink: Boil one cup of water with a pinch of turmeric in it. Cool and add one teaspoon of honey and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Drink this tea thrice daily. Turmeric encourages the regeneration of liver cells. The high Vitamin C content in lemon will activate the liver’s detoxifying enzymes. The ingredients of this tea all have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Juicing: Go for juice fasting once every 15 days. Lemon is a liver cleansing agent. Start your day with a tall glass of warm water adding two teaspoons of lemon to it. Continue drinking at least 4-5 glasses of freshly pressed juice with lemon throughout the day.
- Garlic: Garlic pearls are truly gems to treasure for your liver. Use this precious herb in your daily culinary preparations to reduce inflammation and cleanse your liver. Garlic boosts the production of essential enzymes which play an essential role in detoxifying blood.
- Green tea: Green tea is power packed with antioxidants that protect you against liver diseases. How to clean your liver with this warming beverage? Drink a cup or two daily and your liver will thank you for it.
- Green, leafy vegetables: Leafy vegetables like lettuce and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and kale will build your defense mechanism against liver problems.