A hangover is the after-effect of drinking too much alcohol. It can have psychological and physiological symptoms that are usually experienced the morning following a night of heavy drinking.
While different people experience different side effects of overdrinking, common hangover symptoms include nausea, headache, lethargy, fatigue, irritability, stomach aches, dizziness, sensitivity to loud sounds and light, anxiety, vomiting and erratic motor functions. Besides causing hangovers, consuming alcohol can also cause dehydration and when consumed excessively, it can have toxic effects that cause harm to your brain, liver, gastrointestinal system and sensory perception.
When it comes to a hangover, the main cure is time for your body to naturally detoxify and flush out the toxic alcohol. The best way is to use natural hangover remedies that can get your mind and body back in action.
Simple Tips for Hangovers
If you want to know how to get over a hangover fast, check out some of the top hangover home remedies for the next time you enjoy a night out on the town:
- Water: Drinking water definitely is one of the best hangover relief remedies. Alcohol dehydrates the body so you need to replenish your system by drinking enough water. Water also has the ability to dilute impurities that are left behind in your stomach. Ensure that you drink a minimum of 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day. Along with drinking water, you can consume some electrolyte-replenishing drinks. Stay away from any caffeinated beverages which will further dehydrate your body.
- Honey: Honey is another excellent food item to help you cure hangover symptoms. Its potassium content can help to counteract the toxic effects and hangover symptoms caused by excessive drinking. Honey also contains fructose which is a type of sugar that can help to metabolize the excessive alcohol in the body. Add a tablespoon or two to a glass of water or spread it over a piece of dry toast and eat.
- Lemon: Lemon is a powerful remedy that can alleviate the dreaded symptoms caused by excessive drinking such as dizziness, nausea and headaches. Lemon is excellent for restoring alkaline pH levels and controlling blood sugar levels. Add a few teaspoons of fresh lemon juice with a teaspoon of honey and drink with warm water. Have as many glasses of this mixture throughout the day as required.
- Tomato Juice: Drinking tomato juice is another good way to ease the symptoms. Tomato is rich in fructose which will help the body metabolize alcohol more quickly. It is also abundant in vitamins, minerals and enzymes that will help alleviate hangover symptoms. Drink a glass of fresh tomato juice or soup, along with a tablespoon each of honey and fresh lemon juice with a pinch of cayenne pepper. Drink once in the morning and in the afternoon.
- Ginger: Ginger is one of the best hangover herbal remedies for hangover symptoms such as vomiting and nausea. Consuming ginger will help digest alcohol and soothe the stomach for fast relief from hangovers. Chew a few small pieces, or boil about 10 slices of fresh ginger. Cool and add the juice of one lemon and two tablespoons of honey. Drink warm, as many times as needed throughout the day.
- Peppermint: If you’re looking for more hangover herbal remedies, peppermint is a great choice to treat hangover symptoms. This herb aids digestion and relieves nausea, tension, and bloating, as well as speeds up detoxification. Chew a few fresh leaves throughout the day which will relax the intestines, or boil a teaspoon of dried peppermint with one cup of water for 15 minutes; strain and drink a cup or two of this tea first thing in the morning. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil in a tub or bucket of warm water and soak or bathe in the water to feel pepped up instantly.
- Banana: Potassium gets depleted from the body as a result of excessive drinking. Bananas are a simple way to help replenish potassium and depleted electrolytes, as well as boosting your energy levels and calming the stomach. Eat a banana or two for breakfast, or as a smoothie with honey.
- Toast: Plain slices of toast contain carbohydrates that will help recover depleted nutrients. Carbon contained in the charred part of toast acts as a filter to help get rid of the toxic effects from excessive drinking. You can consume a few pieces of toast for breakfast, along with a cooked egg if desired.
- Sleep: Sleep as much as possible the following day. If you’re experiencing difficulty while sleeping, keep the room as dark as possible and/or play soothing music. A good sleep will relieve hangover symptoms such as a foggy brain and sore body. Proper sleep can also take the edge off of a hangover.
- Oil pulling is another good remedy for removing toxins from the body. On an empty stomach first thing in the morning, swish a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and through the teeth. Continue swishing for 15-20 minutes and spit the oil out (do not gargle or swallow the oil). Rinse your mouth with water. Brush your teeth as usual.
Want to know the guaranteed method to prevent a hangover? Avoid drinking (comes as a shocker, right?). If you will be consuming alcohol and want to minimize or mitigate potential hangover effects, remember to never drink on an empty stomach or drink too quickly. Try to stay within your drinking capacity and stay safe.