Samosa is a crispy Indian snack filled with peas, mashed potato, and spices. Like all other deep-fried food, samosa is very tasty but not quite as healthy as it should be.
Converting unhealthy dishes into ones that are good for your body is easier than you may believe. There are various recipes that will help you avoid deep frying without endangering the quality and taste of the food.
Are you interested in alternatives that are healthier and taste just as delicious?
Check out this guide to learn more about substitutes for deep fried samosas and other dishes!
Baked Rolls and Samosas
Can’t say no to samosas? No problem! You’ll require about an hour of your time to make these samosas or rolls and avoid deep frying.
Required ingredients for the dough:
- Whole-wheat flour (100 g)
- Semolina or similar coarse substitute (20 g)
- Carom seeds, cumin seeds, olive oil, and salt (1 teaspoon of each)
- Yogurt (1/2 cup)
Required ingredients for the filling:
- Potatoes (200 g)
- Green peas (100 g)
- Paneer (100 g)
- Carrots (100 g)
- Ginger (a small bit)
- Fresh coriander leaves (one palm)
- Garam masala and cumin seeds for seasoning (1/2 teaspoon each)
- Salt (a pinch)
- Olive oil (1 tablespoon)
- Boil the potatoes and peel them once cooked. Put the peeled potatoes in a bowl and mash them well. While the potatoes are boiling, wash and chop all other vegetables except peas in small pieces. If you are using fresh green peas, you will have to peel them. Make sure to peel ginger as well and chop it into small pieces.
- Cut paneer into little pieces and mix it with potatoes, carrots, peas, and ginger in a big bowl.
- Heat the oil up in a pan and add garam masala and cumin seeds. Stir in heat until they develop aroma then add the rest of the filling and mix for a few minutes. Put it all in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dough in a large bowl. Knead well until dough is firm and non-sticky.
- Divide the dough into multiple balls in eyeball size. Take one ball and roll it on the floured surface. Now you can decide whether to make rolls or samosas.
- If you want rolls, add 1 tablespoon of the filling on the dough and proceed to wrap it from one side to another.
- If you want samosas, cut the dough circle in half. Add a tablespoon of the filling to the middle of one of the halves. Hold both ends of it and bring them together. The dough should overlap and you should slightly press it to make it stick together. Once a cone is formed, seal the opening by pressing the sides together.
- Bake the rolls or samosas in over at 200 degrees for around 20 minutes. It is suggested to turn them around 2-3 times during baking so that they will be nicely crisp on all sides.
- Serve them hot with Beetroot Chips and tamarind chutney.
Baked Low-Fat Pakoras
Pakoras make a great snack, especially for all those rainy days. Bake them to avoid excess fat and encourage a healthy diet.
You will need:
- Chickpea flour (2 cups)
- Baking powder, salt, garam masala, cumin (1 teaspoon of each)
- Curry powder (2 teaspoons)
- Turmeric, red pepper, garlic (1/2 teaspoon of each)
- Cauliflower (1/3)
- Carrot (1)
- Red potato (1)
- Onion (1)
- Green peas (1/2 cup)
- Olive oil
- Mix flour, spices, baking powder, and garlic in a bowl. Add just enough water (around 1 cup) to create a thick batter and mix well. Let it sit.
- Grate carrot and onion and chop cauliflower. Add all vegetables to batter and mix.
- Grease a sheet pan with butter or olive oil. Take scoops of the batter using a tablespoon and drop them on the tray.
- Bake at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes and turn it around in the middle to cook it from both sides.
- Serve it with Spinach Crisps and green chutney.
Deep fried foods can be delicious but are also accompanied by harmful side effects. Take your health into your own hands and opt for healthier low-fat alternatives such as baked samosas and pakoras.
Converting unhealthy dishes into good ones is easy. The recipes introduced in this post will help you avoid deep-fried products and make the most out of food. Get your oven ready and enjoy your next snack or meal to the fullest!